Red Capsicum and Sultana Brown Rice Salad
This vegetarian brown rice salad is delicious and simple to make. With red capsicum, sultanas, spring onion and peanuts this salad is full of texture and flavours.
I’ve used a simple lemon and olive oil dressing to flavour the salad, with cumin and honey (optional) to add some sweetness and spiciness to it. If you’re vegan you can easily leave out the honey, and instead try using some agave syrup as a sweetener.
This salad is perfect to make as a big batch and take for lunch during the week – I find that the flavours really enhance after a day or so.
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 cup of roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup of sultanas
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 tsp of honey (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Start by placing the rice in a medium-sized pot
- Add 2 cups of water, and bring to the boil over a medium heat
- Turn down to a low heat, cover, and simmer for around 30 - 40 minutes or until cooked
- Allow the rice to cool while the rest of the ingredients are prepared
- Dice the capsicum and spring onion into small pieces and add to a medium-sized salad bowl
- Add the roasted peanuts and sultanas to the bowl, along with the rice once cooled
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, honey, and salt
- Shake or stir well to combine, and pour over the rice salad
- Serve immediately or place in an air-tight container in the fridge until serving