Creamy Broccoli and Coconut Soup
As you can probably tell from my recent posts, I love making vegetable soups. This creamy broccoli and coconut soup is a great way to get more vegetables into your diet, and combines fresh broccoli with coconut milk, garlic and onion.
The coconut milk gives the soup a lovely creamy texture, and the garlic and onion combine to make it full of flavour. You could easily make a couple of batches of this and put some away in the freezer for easy to grab lunch or dinner options.
If you don’t have any coconut milk, you could also try adding cream, regular milk, or even almond milk.
- 1 large broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk or cream
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely diced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 - 2 tsp of sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1 - 2 tsp of fresh herbs
- 2 tsp of coconut milk
- Start by cutting the broccoli up into medium sized pieces
- Bring a pot of water to the boil over a medium heat, and steam the broccoli for around 10 - 15 minutes or until cooked
- In a pan, add the olive oil and sauté the garlic and onion until soft and starting to colour
- Add the broccoli, garlic and onion to a blender or food processor (you may need to divide into 2 batches)
- Pour in the coconut milk and blend with the broccoli until smooth
- Add back to a medium-large pot, and bring to the boil
- Turn down to a low heat, and gently simmer for around 5 - 10 minutes
- Season well with salt and pepper
- Pour into serving bowls and top with the sunflower seeds, herbs and a dash of coconut milk
- If you prefer a thinner soup, you can add some additional coconut milk or water/stock to the soup after blending.
- Try serving this with a loaf of garlic bread or wholemeal rolls for a delicious meal idea.