Frittata with Potatoes, Spinach and Red Onion
Frittata is one of those wonderfully simple dishes that you can make in advance for brunch, lunch or dinner. This frittata has sliced potatoes, red onion, plenty of spinach and a sprinkle of cheese on top.
This recipe is great for vegetarians since the eggs provide a good level of protein and the spinach provides plenty of iron.
You can put almost any vegetables that you have into it – try sliced red bell peppers, chillies, sweet potato or mushrooms. You can also leave out the cheese or substitute for feta or blue cheese.
- 3 medium-sized potatoes
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 - 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 3 cups of spinach
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk (non-dairy is fine)
- 3/4 cup grated cheese, or feta (optional)
- 1 - 2 tsp of mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by slicing the potatoes thinly, and add to a pan with 1 Tbsp of oil
- Pan fry the potatoes for around 15 minutes, flipping regularly, until soft and starting to colour
- Remove the potatoes and set aside
- Slice up the red onion and finely dice the garlic
- Add to the pan along with 1 Tbsp of oil
- Saute' until soft, and add in the mixed herbs
- Place the spinach on top of the red onion and garlic and gently wilt over a low temperature
- Remove the spinach and onion and set aside
- Place the potatoes at the bottom of an oven proof dish, or back into the pan if it is oven proof
- Add the onion and spinach mixture on top of the potatoes
- Beat the 6 eggs in a bowl along with the 1/2 cup of milk, salt, and pepper
- Pour over the potatoes and spinach, and top with the cheese
- Place in an oven at 180 degrees celsius, or 350 degrees fahrenheit, for around 20 minutes or until golden
- Slice into pieces and serve warm
- As an additional topping, I placed some chopped spring onion and smoked paprika over the cheese (optional).